About a just year after releasing OS X Lion, Apple plans to ship OS X 10.8 dubbed Mountain Lion. The update, due late this summer, appears to bring parity of many features from iOS to the Mac.
iOS was formed from the Mac OS, and when Lion was introduced, Apple described the update as iOS giving back to the Mac. A number concepts and some features were brought over, such full screen viewing, Launchpad, and auto saving of documents. Mountain Lion looks to bring many more innovations from IOS to the Mac, specifically for interactive features. Also new is Share Sheets to make sharing media easier with third-party applications and built-in Twitter functionality.
It appears the goal is to make the two platforms compliment and interoperate.
OS X Lion presents over 100 new features. Highlights from iOS include Notification Center, Game Center, a new Messenger app, Notes, Reminders, and increased iCloud integration. Also new is a Gatekeeper system where users can lock down system to only accept installations from the Mac App store, similar to iOS and the App Store. Also new is AirPlay playback of up to 720p video to an Apple TV.
Mountain Lion is available now for developers as a preview release.
OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- Podcast: iPhone 6 rumors, CarPlay, Titanfall (#107)
- New app aims to get you out of awkward situations
- Hackintosh: Updating to OS X 10.9.2 + Tips (#21)
- Twelve South announces SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Apple-Tesla battery connection
- Report: Mobile Internet access passes desktop
- Random Steve Jobs stories
- Apple rebrands iOS in the Car as CarPlay
- Video: Kershaw Ken Onion Chive Pocket Knife
- Podcast: Apple's security issue, XBox One grievances + dashboard update
- David Fincher may direct Jobs movie
- FCC Launches iOS broadband survey tester/tool
- OS X security update now available
- Hackintosh Series: Haswell OS X Install and Config + Tips (#20)
- Tips for securing your Mac and data from theft
- Tainted Love backed up by floppy drives
- On the delay updating OS X on gotofail
- Apple’s gotofail security gap extends to OS X
- Trailer for Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley
- Video: Hackintosh Series: BIOS Setup (#19)
- Comcast and Netflix work out a deal
- Steve Jobs to be on postage stamp
- iTunes Festival at SXSW
- Element Case adds iPad Air Soft-Tec Folio case
- Detailed look at coverage of Google’s fortunes vs Apple
Browse and search for more articles