About a just year after releasing OS X Lion, Apple plans to ship OS X 10.8 dubbed Mountain Lion. The update, due late this summer, appears to bring parity of many features from iOS to the Mac.
iOS was formed from the Mac OS, and when Lion was introduced, Apple described the update as iOS giving back to the Mac. A number concepts and some features were brought over, such full screen viewing, Launchpad, and auto saving of documents. Mountain Lion looks to bring many more innovations from IOS to the Mac, specifically for interactive features. Also new is Share Sheets to make sharing media easier with third-party applications and built-in Twitter functionality.
It appears the goal is to make the two platforms compliment and interoperate.
OS X Lion presents over 100 new features. Highlights from iOS include Notification Center, Game Center, a new Messenger app, Notes, Reminders, and increased iCloud integration. Also new is a Gatekeeper system where users can lock down system to only accept installations from the Mac App store, similar to iOS and the App Store. Also new is AirPlay playback of up to 720p video to an Apple TV.
Mountain Lion is available now for developers as a preview release.
OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- Apple opens OS X betas to everyone
- Apple patches triple handshake, other vulnerabilities
- Apple TV ad Powerful shows off iPhone 5s prowess
- 1Password gets significant updates to iOS, OS X
- Proposed Thunderbolt standard promises to support dual 4K displays
- A&E, The History Channel, and Lifetime channels now available on Apple TV
- Apple touts environmental efforts for Earth Day
- Report: Nike looks to get out of fitness tracker game
- 13 Steve Jobs Quotes
- Twelve South launches wooden Macbook stand in BookArc möd
- Alpine planning after market CarPlay head units
- Linking Apple TV with IFTTT for evergreen screen saver photos
- Funny Samsung sales numbers and the analysts who reported them
- Podcast: Gary Busey, iOS 8 Wishlists, thoughts on iPhone 6 (#109)
- List of sites affected by Heartbleed
- iOS, OS X not affected by Heartbleed
- A good guide for resolving iOS battery problems
- Dropbox releases Mac email and photo management apps
- Best selling Android app was a scam
- Kanex introduces Thunderbolt to eSATA/USB and Ethernet/USB adapters
- Nest halts sales, disables wave feature
- WWDC set for June 2nd
- Apple gives iWork for OS X, iOS, iCloud a big update
- Apple updates Safari for Mavericks and Mountain Lion
- OWC offers CPU upgrade solution for new Mac Pros
Browse and search for more articles