About a just year after releasing OS X Lion, Apple plans to ship OS X 10.8 dubbed Mountain Lion. The update, due late this summer, appears to bring parity of many features from iOS to the Mac.
iOS was formed from the Mac OS, and when Lion was introduced, Apple described the update as iOS giving back to the Mac. A number concepts and some features were brought over, such full screen viewing, Launchpad, and auto saving of documents. Mountain Lion looks to bring many more innovations from IOS to the Mac, specifically for interactive features. Also new is Share Sheets to make sharing media easier with third-party applications and built-in Twitter functionality.
It appears the goal is to make the two platforms compliment and interoperate.
OS X Lion presents over 100 new features. Highlights from iOS include Notification Center, Game Center, a new Messenger app, Notes, Reminders, and increased iCloud integration. Also new is a Gatekeeper system where users can lock down system to only accept installations from the Mac App store, similar to iOS and the App Store. Also new is AirPlay playback of up to 720p video to an Apple TV.
Mountain Lion is available now for developers as a preview release.
OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- Dropbox adds iPhone 6/6+, Touch ID support
- Video: How to charge your iPhone 6 faster
- Apple announces iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3
- Apple announces new iMac with 5K display
- OS X Yosemite launches
- Apple updates Mac mini
- Apple Pay goes live October 20
- HBO plans to launch stand-alone streaming service next year
- Macworld/iWorld called off for 2015
- Podcast - Apple Event, iOS 8 Adoption + More
- New Apple event set for October 16th
- Fitbit says not working on iOS 8 Health integration
- 1Password Update for iOS 8 Bugs
- T-Mobile CEO Legere on Bendgate
- Podcast: Verizon Plans, Windows 10, Apple QA, plus much more
- Apple Activation Lock Status website
- Vogue Profiles Ive
- Verizon promotion boosts shared data plans
- Bendgate helps Apple?
- Consumer Reports takes on iPhone bending
- A look at making launch day iPhone cases
- Podcast: Thoughts on iPhone 6/6+, Hot Thighs and Tights Pants, What's Wrong with iPhone Lines
- How to get photos on to iOS 8 iCloud Photo Library with PhotoSync
- iPhone launch weekend sees 10 million sold
- Thoughts on iPhone sizes
Browse and search for more articles