About a just year after releasing OS X Lion, Apple plans to ship OS X 10.8 dubbed Mountain Lion. The update, due late this summer, appears to bring parity of many features from iOS to the Mac.
iOS was formed from the Mac OS, and when Lion was introduced, Apple described the update as iOS giving back to the Mac. A number concepts and some features were brought over, such full screen viewing, Launchpad, and auto saving of documents. Mountain Lion looks to bring many more innovations from IOS to the Mac, specifically for interactive features. Also new is Share Sheets to make sharing media easier with third-party applications and built-in Twitter functionality.
It appears the goal is to make the two platforms compliment and interoperate.
OS X Lion presents over 100 new features. Highlights from iOS include Notification Center, Game Center, a new Messenger app, Notes, Reminders, and increased iCloud integration. Also new is a Gatekeeper system where users can lock down system to only accept installations from the Mac App store, similar to iOS and the App Store. Also new is AirPlay playback of up to 720p video to an Apple TV.
Mountain Lion is available now for developers as a preview release.
OS X Mountain Lion Preview
- Ken Segall on Apple Watch's killer app
- Video: FLIR One thermal camera w/ Lightning Connector for iOS (Second Generation)
- Second gen FLIR One thermal cam with Lightning connector now available
- Report: How free apps are changing ad-supported content
- iOS 9 looks to free up space for OS upgrades
- CarPlay coming to select 2016 Buick and GMC vehicles
- Apple changes course on Radio payments during trial
- Taylor Swift sounds off on Apple Music free trial
- Apple patches some issues with XARA exploit
- On Apple's accessibility push with iOS
- Snowden on Apple privacy initiatives
- Nice overview of new OS X and iOS vulnerabilities
- OS X/iOS flaws may make passwords vunerable
- Dark Sky weather app gets major update
- Adobe announces updates to Creative Cloud
- Instacast podcast player is discontinued
- Apple Pay to deliver 71.5%+ split to music owners
- Ars Technical looks at El Capitan
- Podcast: iOS 9, El Capitan, Apple Watch + More
- Apple’s Schiller talks about 16 GB on entry level devices
- OWC USB-C Dock goes on pre-order
- Apple Watch watchOS 2 announced with native apps
- iOS 9 announced with refinements and iPad features
- OS X 10.11 El Capitan announced
- Apple Pay expands to support reward programs, store cards
Browse and search for more articles