Apple has a new technical document addressing the Flashback malware. The Java exploit has been patched by Apple with a software update last week. Apple encourages users to utilize the latest Java release by updating via the Software Update tool. Apple also said it's developing a tool to remove any rogue installation.
Flashback utilized an exploit in Apple's Java implementation. The trojan horse functions as a botnet on a users computer and get infected when they're redirected to a malicious website.
While Apple is working on its own tool, users have a couple options to both check for an infection and removal. F-Secure has instructions on how to do both from the Terminal, and a new FlashbackChecker app is available that will check your system with a click of a button.
For this reason and many others, buying a copy of Little Snitch is a great idea. The software monitors and allows users to control their network activity, so if some rogue software tries to communicate with the outside, the user will be alerted.
Apple: About Flashback malware
- Speed tests on MacBook Pro SSD speeds
- Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released
- Apple TV set reported abandoned
- MacBook Pro gains Force Touch, iMac 5K gets new pricing
- Video: How to sign/encrypt email using OS X Mail and a secure certificate authority CA
- LifeProof ships water-proof battery backup case
- Apple Watch lacks anti-theft security
- iGrill thermometer comes to the Apple Watch
- Apple Pay chipping away at Walmart backed CurrentC
- Safari on the Apple Watch
- Vulnerability found with MacKeeper
- Mac App Store sales
- Reserve Strap and the secret Apple Watch plug
- Apple Watch Review Diary: UX, odds and ends
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Battery: First Full Week
- Podcast: Thoughts on the Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Notifications
- Apple's supply chain and the defective taptic engine part
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Fitness Features/Tracker
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Productivity Apps: OmniFocus, Trello, Evernote IFTTT
- Tattoos and Apple Watches may not mix
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Making/Receiving Phone Calls
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Siri
- Apple Watch Review Diary - Maps/Navigation
- Apple Watch Review Diary - The Controls
Browse and search for more articles