The product sounds similar to the ubiquitous HDPVR from Hauppauge. The encoder essentially takes a video source from HDMI or component video, utilizes hardware compression, and then streams the compressed video via USB for capture. Copyright protections via HDCP generally make HDMI a bit of a headache, but if you can get an analog component signal out of a device, you should be golden.
Mac users may be particularly keen on this as last checked the Hauppauge doesn't have official Mac support, although the third-party HDPVRCapture utility works great.
Similar to the HDPVR, the device should pass the video through to be viewed unaltered on a display. This is important for game play as it introduces minimal lag. The encoder accepts 480p, 576p, 720p, and 1080i signals, and requires a Mac running OS X 10.7 with a dual-core CPU.
The Game Capture HD is expected to ship in June for $200.
Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac/PC
- iMap Weather Radio app sends severe weather alerts to your iPhone (Video)
- ZAGGKeys Cover and Folio keyboard cases for iPad mini
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
- Every Day Carry Gear/Gadgets (Video)
- Denon announces new line of AVRs with AirPlay, iOS remote
- T-Mobile TV now available for iOS
Browse and search for more articles