This is kind of crazy. Basically a 1U rack shell that can house a Mac mini and two PCIe cards via Thunderbolt. One slot is a full-length x16 card, the second is a half-length x8, although both only run in x4 modes. Also, a big caveat is any PCIe cards need to be compatible with Thunderbolt, which basically means the card developer needs to tweak their drivers. Sonnet says they're working to make their own PCIe cards compatible. With a number of Thunderbolt expansion boxes on the drawing board, we know of Mac-centric developers working to make their cards also compatible with such devices.
There is no additional storage in the rack, but with a RAID card it could be possible to integrate a rack storage solution via eSATA, SAS, Ethernet. etc. Another option could be for video encoding, utilizing cards from RED, BlackMagic, and AJA. The key feature seems to basically mount it in a rack and integrate PCIe into a mini.
The solution is a bit pricy, retailing for $1295, but if you need a 1U rack solution for a Mac and/or simply need PCIe expansion without having to buy a Mac Pro, this is a new option.
- Podcast: iOS 7, Mavericks, Mac Pro, iTunes Radio + More
- Microsoft Office now on iPhone, but only for 365 subscribers
- iOS 7's new look
- Video - Breaking down the new Apple Mac Pro
- Video - Breaking down the 2013 MacBook Air
- OS X Mavericks' power saving magic
- New MacBook Air benchmarks prove it's all about the battery
- Apple posts two new ads shown at WWDC
- 2013 WWDC keynote video now posted
- iOS 7 gets major UX overhaul
- Apple previews next Mac Pro, but who will buy?
- iTunes Radio brings free streaming music to iOS/iTunes
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks announced
- Apple updates MacBook Air with new battery, GPU performance
- AT&T to enforce full two-year upgrade cycle
- WWDC keynote to be streamed
- Adobe Lightroom 5 now available via Creative Cloud, stand-alone
- Apple rumored to be close to Internet radio service
- VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer (Video)
- Eye-Fi Mobi transmits camera pics to iOS
- AirDrop coming to iOS 7?
- Apple may be planning an ad exchange system
- Podcast: Tim Cook, Retro Gaming, WWDC, Arrested Development
- Cheaper 5G iPod tough springs up for $229 sans iSight
- August Smart Lock makes your deadbolt lock smart
Browse and search for more articles