Apple released a two different MacBook Air SMC updates for the 2012 and 2011 models. Version 1.5 is for the 2012 model and recommended for all users, whether they're running 10.7.4 or 10.8/Mountain Lion. The update fixes several sleep/wake issues and improves stability. For users running Mountain Lion, the update adds support for the Power Nap feature.
Version 1.6 is available for 2011 MacBook Air models. This version just adds the Power Nap feature and is for users running Mountain Lion.
Apple has yet to update the MacBook Pro w/ Retina display for Power Nap.
All SMC updates are available via Apple's app/software update utility.
Power Nap is an OS X Mountain Lion feature that performs low-level tasks while asleep, such as checking mail and keeping up to day with iCloud. When plugged into a wall outlet and charging, the computer will run Time Machine backups and Spotlight indexing, plus downloads from the Mac App Store. All tasks that usually suck up productivity upon wake.
- Logitech announces wired iPad keyboard
- Twitter launches two-factor authentication
- Otterbox acquires LifeProof
- iMap Weather Radio app sends severe weather alerts to your iPhone (Video)
- ZAGGKeys Cover and Folio keyboard cases for iPad mini
- Double Decker from Trans Intl stacks up 2 drives in Mac Pro bays
- Pebble releases new SDK for greater app functions
- iKlip 2 and iKlip Studio for mini now available
- Stitcher Radio gets simplified car mode
- Google shows off new Maps
- App store hits 50 billion downloads
- Google announces new Hangouts app, consolidates messaging
- Newer Technology GripBase Podium stand for iPad
- iMove 9.0.9 for Mac updates camera issues
- 1Password adds new in-app browser, sharing
- Bill Gates reflects of Steve Jobs on 60 Minutes
- ABC to stream network shows live to iOS devices
- Apple issues update for Thunderbolt Macs
- Pixelmator 2.2
- Using the Fitbit One Fitness Tracker (Video)
- Kenburg 5-inch short LightLinez Lightning cable
- Newer Tech reduces cost of miniStack with CD/DVD option
- Plants vs Zombies 2 slated for July
- Fitbit ships Flex wrist fitness tracker
- Gmail app updates keeps iOS users in Google's eco system
Browse and search for more articles